Sunday 1 March 2009

Exhausted... In a whirl... but very satisfied!

I was up bright & early, full of excitement and anticipation for the day ahead. Had to ensure all the garden feeders were stocked & although there was much to do, I still had to do the most important thing of all… the garden head count… sorry Abbot, but that comes before your butties! I have included the head count in my day list below, but I will point out that the Firecrest is still with us.
Sitting with my tea and bins & watching the Blackbird relay… fence to fence today… like watching the tennis! One male decided to perch beside me on the edge of a planter. He looked up at me…. I said… “alright” (in a Cornish accent of course, thinking he may not understand any other!)… he looked at his counterparts on the fence and looked back at me… at this point I felt a sudden surge of realisation… I am stark raving mad!
I then turned my attention to Blue & Great Tits - they take a sunflower heart… rise to a high branch & take it in the claw against the branch. They nibble ferociously until its gone… down for another… cute eh!
I also watched 12 Magpies, 2 C Crows & 2 Woodpigeons having what could only be described as a parliamentary debate about something. The Woodpigeons left the party very early in the proceedings, but by this time the Magpies were driving me nuts with their football rattle gabble! It reminds me of when my late father decided to fire up an old Triumph he’d had laying dormant for about 3 years in a barn at the farm where I grew up… and fire it up he did. After the Magpie rattle, the head blew!
Enough waffle… here’s my list for today (one of which cannot be confirmed): Great Crested Grebe 2 (fabulous), Cormorant 1, Little Egret 1, Grey Heron 3, Mute Swan (lots), Canada Goose 4, Mallard 2, Wigeon 4, Tufted Duck 19, Goldeneye 3, Buzzard 1 (followed at the tail by a), Kestrel 1, Pheasant 1 (flew over the A30 by the Redruth turn off), Moorhen 1, Coot 4, Lapwing 7, Turnstone 2, Oystercatcher 3, Redshank 2, Curlew 2, Black Headed Gull (quite a few!), Herring Gull 200+, Greater Black Backed Gull 2, Woodpigeon (lots), F Pigeon (11), Collared Dove 5, Pied Wagtail 1, Wren 2, Dunnock 4, Robin 3, Songthrush 1, Redwing 1, Blackbird (lots), Blackcap 1 (F), Coal Tit 2, Firecrest 1, Great Tit 5, Blue Tit 4, LT Tit 2, Magpie (lots), Jay 3, Jackdaw (lots), Rook (lots), C Crow (lots), Raven 1, Starling (lots), House Sparrow (lots), Chaffinch (a good few!), Greenfinch 4, Bullfinch 3 (2M 1F), Reed Bunting 4.
The one, which cannot be confirmed is the Fieldfare 1, at Stithians… I was in too much of a hurry to fetch the Abbot’s butties from the car to stop & make sure!
We travelled from St Austell to Marazion, Lands End, Sennen Cove, Polgigga (lovely), Penberth, Drift Res, Hayle, Stithians Res. Home :-(
I have seen more Corvids today than ever… and I have to say I am very drawn to them.
I love birding for many reasons. I had a very memorable day & I would certainly follow the same route again. I am back at work tomorrow feeling fulfilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites