Tuesday 17 February 2009

I love birding

A nice morning and I could feel spring in the air. I got up early and stocked the feeding stations. The dawn chorus was fabulous and so I thought, no back door step for me this morning. With my cup of tea and bins at the ready I sat out in the garden 10 feet away from the feeders. I had:
3 Carrion Crows, 4 Magpies (1 came down to feed), 1 H Gull, 2 Wood Pigeons (both came down to feed), 1 Songthrush, 6 Blackbirds, 5 Starlings, 2 Blue Tits, 2 Great Tits, 2 Long Tailed Tits, 2 Coal Tits (there's a pattern here with these 2's!), 1 Dunnock, 1 Robin, 6 H Sparrows, 3 Chaffinches and 2 Goldfinches (have not seen them for a while, so was chuffed). I did also have the Firecrest. He was feeding for a while and then, out of no-where what I thought was another Firecrest. The feeding one flipped up towards the second and they went off together so I never really got to positively ID the second as a Firecrest and not Goldcrest. A little while later the Goldcrest arrived, same feeding place as usual and where the Firecrest feeds. So, did I have 2 Firecrest and a Goldcrest or 1 Firecrest and 1 Goldcrest. Dunno is the answer, but I'm still as happy as the Stithians Warden in pond water!!!!
Had about 30 Pigeons on the roof at work, 1 Grey Wagtail and H Gulls (5).
Pied Wagtail on the way home in the car. Not literally - on the footpath!!!
Blackbirds everywhere when I walked the dog at dusk.
Wherever I am and whatever I am doing I am listening for or watching birds.
People pass by so much in their everyday lives and miss it.
I love birding!

6 comments:

  1. I find it totally addictive for many reasons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie and Trevor,
    The blogs looking good, you have a very entertaining way with words Angie.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your very kind comments. The passion I have for birding makes it come naturally. I only wish I had more time to get out and about. I get such a rush from it. I'm not really into twitching, although I do enjoy it, but I like to watch, listen and observe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Simon. I really do see why you have a passion and dedication to the job. It can be very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would stay well away from twitching.You'll get far more excitement from the unexpected. The unexpected will give you a real buzz and increase your passion. having a bird you've not had before on your patch is a real adrenalin rush and very enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree and that is how I feel about my garden birds and birding at Stiths.

    ReplyDelete

 
Fatbirder's Top 500 Birding Websites